What is Ripple Effect?
Ripple Effect is a nonprofit environmental education organization that fosters water literacy through professional training and standards-aligned curricula, so teachers can incorporate real-world, climate-related water issues into everyday science instruction.
We develop standards-aligned science curricula about real communities impacted by climate-related water challenges, then provide in-depth teacher training programs that prepare teachers to teach this curriculum with fidelity.
Read our Strategic Plan.
What is water literacy?
Water literacy is the systematic collection and sharing of knowledge, skills, and ethical grounding that all individuals and communities need to successfully adapt to changing hydrologic conditions. It encompasses the environmental, economic, and social dimensions of human connections to water, water infrastructure, and aquatic ecosystems.
- consists of the knowledge, skills, and ethical grounding necessary to successfully adapt to changing hydrologic conditions.
- encompasses the environmental, economic, and social dimensions of human connections to water.
draws from science, the humanities, social science, and community expertise to define and address water issues.
- occurs in formal and informal contexts across the human developmental lifespan.
- values both traditional ecological knowledge and Western modern science.
- is rooted in a socioecological context in which human beings and nature are inextricably intertwined.
- is inherently local, reflecting the ecologies, social histories, and economies of specific geographic regions.
Students living in our most climate-vulnerable coastal regions will receive regular, high-quality science instruction about water issues from prepared, passionate, and knowledgeable teachers in every grade, K-12.
This will result in a critical mass of students who are water literate by the time they graduate, widening the pipeline of minority and low-income students into fields such as science, policy, and engineering, where they can champion innovative and equitable climate change solutions. This will enhance community engagement with and support for these solutions, leading to improved health and sustainability outcomes for coastal communities.